Even at a young age, children have social and mental awareness. They know who is more popular and who is not. They can tell who can do what. If there are a few children in kindergarten who know how to read, they may receive awards and certificates, be called upon to choose books or encouraged to write, illustrate and read aloud their own stories. Reading is an important habit and should be developed in kids from the very start.
In some schools, they may even be asked to help other children, who may still be struggling with basic letter recognition or basic pronounciation of words. This itself gives a boost o the children helping them.
Early readers have the opportunity to relate to their peers on a more confident, more competent level as they are already being recognized for their superior accomplishments. Such experiences increase the child’s social status among peers as well as his or her self-image and self-confidence.
1. Children who read often and widely get better at it – It is just like any other routine one follows. For children, it is easier to adapt habits if inculcated from a young age. This is actually an added benefit they have you can say. Reading is one such habit, also one of the best your child can have.
2. Reading exercises our brain – Just like physical activities excercises our entire body, reading really excercises the brains and helps children to perform better altogether. To think better and brighter, reading is extremely important and it is so not only fo kids but also for adults like us too.
3. Reading improves concentration – This is one habit in childen that most of the parents worry about. Often in children we see the lack of concentration while doing a particular activity. For specially active kids, it is next to impossible for them to sit and concentrate on a particular given activity. Reading helps improve the same to a large extent.
4. Reading teaches children about the world around them – Reading leaves no corner or phase unexplored. It takes you to worlds that you never can go physically to. They say books are a persons best friend and I can vouch for the same. Books alone can give so much knowledge to the person reading it and also the ones around him.
5. Reading improves vocabulary and language skills – Reading on a regular basis hs alot of benefits. One of the best of them is improvement in vocabulary and language. The more your kids read the more your kids excell in every field of life.
“Children are made readers on the laps of their parents.” — Emilie Buchwald
With so many benefits that highlight the importance of reading, we as parents need to prioritise reading in a child’s early years to help them to succeed later in life. We as parents should realise the importance of the same and act on it instantly.
I hope you find this blog to be useful, if you did then please let me know in the comments below. Are you also raising a reader?