As a stay at home moms, staying in a nuclear set up, I know how difficult at times it gets to take care of your kids. Trust me when I say this. My daughter gets bored very easily and its a task to keep her engaged in something or the other the whole day. One of the easiest ways to make them sit at one place is by giving them a phone or an I pad basically known as indulging them in screen time.
A lot of moms including me have done this. I’m nowhere saying that they can’t learn from there, they clearly can. But it is very important to limit the screen time your child gets in a day.
Here are a few tips that have helped me till now,
- BE THE ROLE MODEL – Being a stay at home mom specially, your child would pick up most of your habits. The more you are into your phone, the more the child would want to do the same. At times all these little children want is undisturbed play time with parents. I speak of this with personal experience. Avoid using phone or watching tv as much as you can in front of your kids.
- KEEP AN EYE – Screen time done moderately in a day causes no harm as such. But for this you yourself need to be updated. My little one easily unlocks my phone and opens you tube, when I was her age I probably did not even know what a phone is. Keeping a strong eye on the content your child watches is extremely important. Playing violent games or watching inappropriate videos might adversely effect your child’s behaviour in future.
- CREATE A NO SCREEN ZONE – Yes, you read that right. Try dedicating a small space in your house where no electrical gadget is allowed. Not even your own phone. This will encourage more conversations.
- MAKE IT A PRIVILEGE – Always make it a point to let them know that screen time is a privilege and not a right. This will encourage them to engage more in other activities. The lesser they watch the same, the lesser are their chances of getting addicted to the same.
- ENCOURAGE OTHER ACTIVITIES – Kids easily grow dependent on technology for entertainment. Encourage your children to become involved with activities that don’t involve screens.Get your child to play outside, read a book or play a game.
These are a few ways in which you can keep your child away from screen time and engage them in other various activities.
I hope you found this blog to be useful, if you do then please let me know in the comments below.
HAPPY PARENTING !!